Little miss three

Wednesday 11 January 2012
We've finally returned home from our annual Christmas visit to the inlaws / holiday.  It is so nice to sleep in your own bed and be in your own space - parents reading this will nod in agreement when I say that a holiday with a small child is actually a misnomer, it's just parenting in a different location with the added challenge of being out of routine and in unfamiliar places! Add to that being six months pregnant in stifling Queensland heat it just adds up to it being harder than staying at home.....

While we were away Anna turned 3 and in the tradition I started for her I made her another birthday dress (2nd birthday dress here and 1st birthday dress here).  It was tough work to get her to put it on because her favourite dress at the moment is a Dora the Explorer dress given to her as a hand me down that she wears practically every day unless she's been naughty and I make her take it off to wear some shorts and a tshirt as punishment!

I made a vintage pattern, Butterick 2194, which is undated but I think is circa 1950s possibly early 60s. 

I made it from some cotton plisse in a pale purple white polka dot fabric, with contrasting white cotton collar and cuffs.  I think it is very cute even though it has a touch of school uniform about it, especially since I made her pose in front of my inlaws house as though it were the first day of school:



It has buttons down the back of bodice, and is heavily gathered around the sides and the back so it passes the twirl test nicely:



Sadly all that enthusiastic twirling resulted in a a big fall, so we had to bribe her with some jelly while we patched her up:


Check out that pouty face - she has certainly turned into a little drama queen!

Hope you all had a wonderful and relaxing holiday season.  I have a few days left before going back to work next week and with Anna back at daycare this week my real holiday is just starting....

15 comments:

  1. What a great tradition. I love the 2nd birthday dress the best. Wishi had your talent - I am still very much an amateur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to Anna! I laughed reading the comment that your holiday starts now. Enjoy your time. (it's still stinking hot here now!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna is adorable! Maybe a little Dora applique sewn discreetly to the waistline may get her to wear her new dress more often. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Did that 3 years go fast from this side of the world...I'm sure it went quite a bit slower for you! :) My grandson will be 3 in March and I can't believe how grown they both look!

    Happy Belated Birthday to Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, such a sweet dress for a sweet little miss. Hope you feel more comfortable soon. (verification word is "dorical." Could it be an omen? Dorical = Dora decal?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Anna! The dress & it's model are just gorgeous. I can't pick which of the 3 is my favorite, though. They're all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that I am not the only one that has to punish my 3yo by making her take OFF her Dora dress. Love your blog, glad you are back. Sweet little dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, she looks so grown up! Time flies. Happy birthday to Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful dress congratulations, I think you're amazing for being able to care for a child of three years, being on vacation, and still get pregnant sew a piece so beautiful. Rssss, my daughter will turn 6 years and have not had the courage to have a second child.

    Hugs and good rest of holidays.

    Eilane

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a lovely tradition! My daughter is a little drama queen also, I guess, they all are like that!
    Love this dress, what is this fabric made of and how it is called? Looks like it doesn't require ironing, which is always great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Anna!
    Enjoy your vacay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny, I love that you punish her with shorts! And I hope you don't think it's wrong but I really laughed when I saw the post stack photo.
    Take care and enjoy your alone time

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear! It is tough being a model! Really cute dress and nice tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable daughter and dress! The last picture is priceless :)

    ReplyDelete