Burda 4/2013 #109 dress: bright and bold (and done!)

Tuesday 30 April 2013
On the last day of April I've managed to finish my April Burda garment - nothing works like a deadline for motivation!  I did procrastinate this issue because frankly nothing really stood out in the April issue, and from what I can see the May issue is just as bad.

When I was cleaning out the purple shelf of my fabric stash a little while ago, I came across a vibrant fuchsia silk with a black floral print given to me from my husband's aunt quite a few years ago when she was downsizing from her large family home to an apartment.  It wasn't a very big piece, only 90cm and about 1.5m long so I was thinking perhaps another New Look 6000 dress because that can be squeezed out of a small piece of fabric, but instead I chose to make the simple shift dress from the April issue, #109A:

kristy_idle_lower_your_presser_foot_blog

kristy_idle_lower_your_presser_foot_blog
source: burdastyle

This dress is a little different to my usual style, since it's borderline shapeless sack (despite how fitted the model's dress looks in the photo) and I did fight a strong urge to put some vertical darts in the front and back to provide some more shape.  But I am pleasantly surprised at how it looks on - it seems to be still quite flattering without being skin tight.  At least from the front that is, because the side profile view is very potato sack like:

kristy_idle_lower_your_presser_foot_blog

Wearing a belt with it though doesn't improve the look - the fabric is a bit stiff and there is a little too much of it to cinch it in properly, and it just looks wrong:

kristy_idle_lower_your_presser_foot_blog

I made a few small changes to the construction - I fully lined the dress using the sleeveless bodice lining method so thoroughly explained by Trena in her tutorial, instead of using bias binding around the armholes and an outside facing at the neckline.  I also moved the zipper from the side to the centre back purely because I didn't have enough fabric to cut the back piece on the fold, and I don't particularly like side zips anyway.  I did keep the keyhole opening above the zipper at the centre back just as a design feature:

kristy_idle_lower_your_presser_foot_blog

kristy_idle_lower_your_presser_foot_blog

I'm not quite loving the armholes though - the shoulder seams are very narrow and I really need to sew on some bra strap holders to stop my bra straps peeking out.  But I'm not sure it's so flattering or elegant to have that much of the armpit or that fleshy bit in the armpit fold on display:

kristy_idle_lower_your_presser_foot_blog

So for that reason I'm probably unlikely to make this dress again, but I'll definitely be wearing this one I've made.  I can envisage it with some black opaque tights and some really high heels to wear during our coming winter.  And I'm extremely happy this fabric has made it out of the stash and into my wardrobe.

Speaking of the stash, I still haven't finished cleaning it up yet but I am very happy to say that I haven't added to it at all since January.  Not one bit! I haven't deliberately set out on a fabric ban, but I've just found so much great stuff in the stash that the next 10 billion projects I've already planned out from fabric I already own, and nothing has really caught my eye while I've been out and about lately.

28 comments:

  1. I Think The Dress And Fabric Are Lovely! You LookEd great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! The color looks great on you, and I like the silhouette too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great from the front and the back. Your shoulders and "fleshy bits" really are enhanced by the cut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the cut of the neckline and armholes is elegant, which is why you look so good in this "sack"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha after sweating in a dress all day that was rubbing against my armpits, my first thought was "That is so nice and far away from her armpits!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your dress. Nice colours and vibrant pattern. You are right - the belt doesn't go but it is very flattering without it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This fabric is simply stunning and may I say your zipper is so invisible it is totally stealth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kristy, It was lovely to finally meet you on Saturday. I love the 60s vibe of your new dress. Suffering a little fabric envy - why do other people's stashes seem more attractive than our own?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the others, I think it looks a bit Jackie Kennedy and maybe it's just a different style that will take a while to get used to. Definitely wear it, I like it without the belt best!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that print! And the dress looks great. I like the sound of opaque tights and heels, and it would look pretty with some dressy sandals for summer... that flowing shape and space around the arms would be great in hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like it. I think the model's one is prob cinched in at the back for the photoshoot. Shame the belt didn't make it any better cos it would have looked even better with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it looks stunning from front and back but as yo say a little less os from the side view
    but i agree that with tights and a shirt underneath for winter it will be so cute and a lovely burst of needed color during those dreary months

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great style for summer because of the cut away shoulders and it won't stick to you in the humidity.
    And in the winter you'll be a breath of fresh air when most people will be in black and grey.
    Congrats for reaching your deadline too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found you through Cation's link party. Beautiful dress. It does look very nice on and the color is gorgeous! I'm impressed with your fabric fortitude! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Kristy, I can see this looking great with a jacket/blazer. Great colors in the fabric. Beside the complaints you have with it, It looks great on you. What about wearing it with some sort of a blouse/top of some sort underneath it? Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like this dress on you -- I don't think it looks shapeless at all, and the looseness must be comfortable. I'm quite fascinated with the dart placement on the front, too, as it's the first time I've seen something like that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with Katherine, the slim cut of the shoulders stops the design swamping your frame, it balances out the proportions. With such a cut- it would be tricky to layer with your sleeves starting do far away from the arms of the dress?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes it's nice to find patterns you are happy with once but don't want to make again! Freedom to move on to other patterns :)
    the fabric is beautiful. I think you are right, the front and back views are more flattering than the side. You have to be slender to pull off this look and that's why it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dress looks great, and on a hot day is going to be really lovely and cool to wear - no-one needs darts then! You must get Burda airmailed to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Along with the black opaque stockings, maybe a 3/4 or long sleeve close fitting black top - keep you a bit warmer in winter!

    Love reading your blog, I always save your updates to read last (kind of like leaving the favourite part of your meal until the last mouthfuls!)

    Tully

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! You look amazing in that dress. I love the fabric and the colour loves you!!!! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, actually I thought it would turn out more of a potato sack than it did! So you've inspired me to give this pattern a chance. I love the keyhole detail. I really like the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like this on you! I love the print you choose and you're right with some black tights and a black cardi - it will be perfect for autumn. I know you like your dresses a little closer fitting but seriously this is a very flattering dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This dress is absolutely gorgeous on you. Perfect combination of fabric and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the dress on you! Fabulous fabric you look fab.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I thought this was the best of the bunch for April, too, but I wasn't sure how that cut-in armscye and A line would looks. It's adorable on you! You can totally pull off that 60s silhouette. And I'm going to steal your zipper with keyhole opening for something; such a great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a beautiful color and print on you, and I too find the dress very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had to come to your blog and see your dress. This looks perfect on you! I love the print and color of your fabric, too! Now I want to make another one in a print fabric!

    ReplyDelete